[CentOS] Adding samba clients to samba server

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Wed Mar 12 06:39:37 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008 22:14:23 Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
> I have an application that requires the use of netbios names instead of IP
> addresses, and the company that produces the application says that's the
> way it is.
>
> I have a Windows XP machines running the application, and I want to add it
> to a domain controller.   I have a Centos 5 machine onto which I've
> installed Samba and configured it to be a DC.   I now want to add a couple
> linux workstations, also running samba, to this domain controller as
> workstations.   I've done this millions of times under Windows, but never
> added a samba client to a samba server/dc.
>
> How do I do so?
>
> It is my hope that this will permit me to then use the application, as
> I'll have added the XP machine to the Samba DC, too, thus hoping netbios
> names work properly.

Hi, see this great docs:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/unixclients.html

But, for just the client to be able to 'see' the WindowsXP using Netbios, we
can do this:
1. Activate the DC as WINS server too in smb.conf
2. Add the needed info for each clients in /var/cache/samba/wins.dat with this
entry (example):
"JOHN.SMITH#03" 0 195.168.0.110 64R

#03 = Netbios Type
Reference
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/d9752e34-fefc-4709-84b3-9127c68bd3841033.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows2000/en/advanced/help/sag_WINS_und_LocatingDcsUsingNetbt.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300986
http://www.chicagotech.net/netbios&wins.htm

HTH,
http://linux2.arinet.org
13:39:30 up 6:11, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.