[CentOS] Re: Overland Arcvault 12 and sequential/random settings

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Mar 13 16:04:25 UTC 2008

on 3-13-2008 8:00 AM Scott R. Ehrlich spake the following:
> My unit's firmware: library 05.03, tape d22h, shows the device as set to
> random mode. But mtx -f /dev/st0 status gives an error that google says
> the device is in sequential mode.  dmesg|grep -i hp does reflect CentOS
> thinks the device is a sequential unit.
>
> I've tried this with Fedora 8, too, and both show the same, so it is
> either an issue with CentOS/Fedora RPMs, or the version of MTX?
>
> I'm going to try a simple install of Ubuntu next and see if there is any
> difference.
>
> Is this a bug with the firmware, or with my setup?
>
> I have rebooted the tape drive and machine several times.
>
> I have the drive connected to an Adaptec 29160.
>
> I have another identical drive on another system, with a library
> firmware of d21h, tape firmware 04.04, and that works perfectly with
> mtx, though it is connected to a different SCSI card.
>
> Thanks for any help/insights.
>
> Scott
First I would try the simplest test and swap the drives to eliminate the scsi
card if it isn't too difficult. I seem to remember some other problems with
that particular adaptec card, or its driver, but can't quite remember the issue.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and