[CentOS] Good version control package?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:28:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 1:49 PM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have run into a snag with my CVS installation:
>
>  [scarolan at neinei:~]$ cvs co -P installfiles
>  cvs checkout: Updating installfiles
>  cvs [checkout aborted]: out of memory; can not allocate 1022462837 bytes
>
>  Unfortunately we have a couple of large binary .tgz files in the
>  repository.  I was able to check them in but as you can see I can't
>  check them out because of memory limitations.   I have even added 2
>  more gigs of swap space but it still errors out.  I noticed while
>  watching it that it doesn't seem to use all the swap space.  Any
>  pointers?

Checking in binary files into CVS or any repository control system is
usually a broken thing. You want to either check in the stuff inside
the tar ball seperately (if its going to change), or just copy it into
the archive by updating CVSROOT/cvswrappers

*.tar   -k 'b' -m 'COPY'
*.tbz   -k 'b' -m 'COPY'
*.tgz   -k 'b' -m 'COPY'