[CentOS] Good version control package?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 21:11:15 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > Checking in binary files into CVS or any repository control system is
>  >  > usually a broken thing. You want to either check in the stuff inside
>  >  > the tar ball seperately (if its going to change), or just copy it into
>  >  > the archive by updating CVSROOT/cvswrappers
>
>  This comes back to the point of my first post - I'm looking for an
>  *easy* to manage system to keep track of one directory of files that
>  are updated once in a while.  We're not working on a huge code base
>  with multiple branches, etc.  I suppose we can check in the files
>  inside the .tar.gz separately but was hoping to avoid that since the
>  contents of this binary are maintained by a different department.  I'd
>  really rather keep it intact as it is.
>
>  Will SVN be better equipped to cope with large binaries?  I don't
>  understand why CVS chokes on a 1GB file when all it has to do is move
>  it from one directory to another.  I even gave this machine 3Gb of
>  swap so it had 5Gb of total memory space available but it still dies
>  when doing a cvs checkout.

Because these tools are meant to deal with source code files and deal
with diffs of such files. You are cramming a 1 gigabyte of compressed
bits at it and its trying to make sure it could give you a diff of it
later on. I don't have any idea why you would want to store it in a
CVS type tool if its not going to change that often.. a simple MD5sum
of the tar ball and check against that would probably do a check of
it.

Remember we have NO clue what you are wanting to do with this or why..
a couple of sentences does not give us enough background on what
problem you are trying to solve. You never mentioned 1 gb tar balls or
other things.. you mentioned config and script files which update
quite frequently.. thats all.