[CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Mar 14 15:48:51 UTC 2008

Therese Trudeau wrote:
> What do you think of alternative back up systems, such as a tape
> backup with
> bare metal restore software?  I'd go that route instead if I could fine a solution which
> would allow me to restore to different hardware, i.e. if my motherboard dies
> and I need to buy a different brand or model MB.  I know Storix back up software
> has this capability - I use storix on my Linux server with RAID 1.  @ home I have
> one Linux and one Windows desktop machine.

raid is no substitute for backup, raid is strictly for maintaining 24/7
uptime in the face of hardware failures, which is total overkill for
your desktop.

Skip RAID entirely.... Instead, get some external USB drives.  on the
linux machine, use 'dump' or 'tar' or whatever in a script to make
backups, on the windows machine, get and use Acronis DiskImage, which
has a bare metal restore from a bootable CD-R you can build.

build the windows system so the c: 'system' drive is only about 30-40GB,
plenty big enough for the OS plus all your mainstream applications
(adobe, etc), and use a D: drive for /all/ your data, including your
user account profile.   this way the bare metal restore only has to
restore said C:, and you can use incremental datafile oriented backup
techniques for the D: 'data' drive.

do much the same with linux, a modest / and a seperate /home