RE: [CentOS] Re: Recommendations for a �card on Centos box

Therese Trudeau mswotr at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 14 16:43:43 UTC 2008

> Explain your definition of a mission critical desktop. Does the entire
> enterprise stop functioning if this desktop stops?
> I am THE tech support for my company, but my desktop could die right now, and
> although I would be heartbroken and a little peeved, I could just fire up my
> lappy and get back to work in a few minutes. I usually have 2 desktops
> running, just in case I need to put out fires while my main desktop is doing
> the windows reboot dance.

 If my linux machine stops functioning it's
not as bad as the windows box going off line, but it still takes a day
or two to get things back on line with the linux box with all the software I installed on it.

If the windows machine stops functioning, then yes it's a pain, it's at least two days
by the time I get back up and running because much of my work is graphic design
and that's where all my adobe stuff is loaded on, and it takes a long time
to get the OS re instlled, then grabbing my data, and re installing many many
software applications etc.

Because I am a one person company I just don't have time to spend days
getting a machine back on line, and it's happened more than once.  An hour or two
however to get things runing again would not harm my work flow that much.