[CentOS] Recommendations for a "real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 14 16:59:09 UTC 2008

Therese Trudeau wrote:

> >> ACTUALLY I totally forgot.  I absoluteluy can not use
> >> software raid.  Because I use Adobe products.  Adobe products
> >> do not install
> >> well on software raid systems, and tend to crash on software
> >> raid beacuse of their activation process.  If I go raid, I
> >> absolutely need a hardware raid
> >> which is entirely transparent to the operating system, at
> >> least as far as adobe products are concerned.
> >
> > What Adobe products do you use under Linux? I did not know
> > that Adobe offered products outside of Reader and Flash
> > for Linux.
> >
> > Besides, where did you read that Adobe products don't
> > work on RAID systems?
> >
> > The RAID part will be well hidden under the Logical Volume
> > Manager even if the first is true.
> >
> > RAID1 can speed up sequential read speed, as a well
> > designed RAID implementation can stripe the read requests
> > across both spindles (and dm-raid does that!).
>
> Ah I figured someone would ask that.  I use pretty much all
> major adobe products, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, just
> about the entire suite.
>
> I have two home workstation machines. One is Centos, and one
> is Windows (the one I use Adobe on). I'd prefer if possible
> to have the same type of RAID cards on both machines, because
> easier to manage and if I ever decide to sell or give away one
> machine, I can pull the raid card and use it as a backup.

If you are a graphic designer, I'm curious what you use the
CentOS box for (or why you use Windows and not Mac :-)

> From experience I have learned that Photoshop will not install
> on software raid on my W2K machine - I tried it two years ago,
> could not get it to install, and after a few days trying to get
> it to work, called Adobe tech support and at that time the tech
> support person told me that their products don't run on software
> raid because they don't want people having multiple copies of one
> license on a second drive (unless it's for their second copy
> allowance for a laptop or second machine owned by same person,
> and only one or the other - the laptop or second desktop are
> run at the same time - my second copy is on a laptop ).

The Photoshop support tech was just shrugging you off here
because he didn't want to support you. There exists no such
stipulation in Adobe's EULA. As long as it is running on
the machine it was licensed for and that machine's OS is
supported then you are good. Running on RAID has nothing
to do with second copies and second machine allowance as
the storage medium is not the key in licensing, the
processor(s) are. Adobe needn't even be installed on the
local HD if you can get away with a network install and
all that registry crap, but it better have a license for
the CPU it's running on.

I had run Adobe Photoshop on Windows 2000 Terminal Server
running under software RAID with no problems (besides poor
visual performance due to terminal services).

> Also I may at some time migrate my adobe products to the
> Linux machine and run Adobe on WINE on the Linux box.  Google
> just started working with the folks over @ WINE, and they want
> to make it so all adobe products run flawlessly on Linux -
> WINE, not just photoshop and illustrator.  Today some adobe
> products run on wine well, some don't, in a few years they all
> will run well on a linux box using WINE.  I'm not sure about
> running adobe using software raid on a linux box and WINE -
> never tried it, but going with hareware raid on the linux
> box eliminates another possible unknown.

Don't bother. If you are a serious Adobe designer get
yourself a Mac and dual boot it between OS X and CentOS or
triple with Windows.

-Ross