[CentOS] Recommendations for a “real RAID" 1 card on Centos box

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 19:08:59 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:
> Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>> On 3/10/08, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
>>

>>> You can turn on write back caching if you have a UPS as well
>>>  (provided your UPS is wired into your system for a graceful shutdown)
>>>

>> Hopefully you have a redundant PS unit. Having a UPS is not going to
>> help if your PS fails.
>>

> redundant power supplies connected to redundant UPS's.   I've seen more
> UPS failures than I've ever had failed PSUs on proper server grade
> hardware.

Exactly - You can expect a UPS to need new batteries every few years,
but I had one machine with a 4+year uptime (and only because I was able
to move power cords, change UPS's, and swap it's mirrored hard drives on
the fly).  The machine is still running (RH 7.3) but it's less critical
now and I was too lazy to drag along a UPS when I had to move it to a
different location.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com