[CentOS] ext3 errors (md device related?)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:35:18 UTC 2008

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

>> Back to this problem again.  I did a new mkfs.ext3 and ran more than a
>> week before hitting this again:
>>
>> Mar 14 04:12:29 linbackup1 kernel: md3: rw=0, want=14439505280, limit=1465143808
>> Mar 14 04:12:29 linbackup1 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device md3): ext3_readdir: directory #34079247 contains a hole at offset 0
>> Mar 14 04:12:29 linbackup1 kernel: Aborting journal on device md3.
>> Mar 14 04:12:29 linbackup1 kernel: md3: rw=0, want=5260961472, limit=1465143808
>> Mar 14 04:12:29 linbackup1 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device md3): ext3_readdir: directory #34079247 contains a hole at offset 4096
>>
>> I don't see any hardware related errors, and the rest of the filesystems
>> all seem fine, although this is the one that is busy.
>
> Is your memory ECC? If not then a memory problem can fly under the radar.

dmidecode says single-bit ECC

>> Can this be related to being on a 3-member RAID1 that normally runs with
>> one device misssing? I've run a different one that way for a couple of
>> years on earlier kernels.
>
> I haven't seen any other dm-raid problems, and dm-raid is quite mature
> at this point. I won't say it isn't possible. Can you try running with
> just 2 drives for a while after this fsck and see if it happens again?

I normally run with only 2.  I add the 3rd once a week long enough to
sync, then unmount the partition long enough to fail and remove the 3rd,
then rotate it offsite.  The times it has had problems, there have only
been 2 active partitions.

>> Will it hurt anything to mount the underlying partition of one of the
>> drives directly for a while instead of using the md device?
>
> I don't know. Depends how dm-raid keeps it's bitmap and meta-data. If
> it's at the end then it should work, if it's at the beginning, then
> you'd have to offset the mount (carefully).
>
> You will need to be very careful when messing with the partition table
> to change it's type and if you recreate the RAID1 again with existing
> data on it (don't have a procedure for that).

I can mount the underlying partition without changing its type and it
appears to work.  I do that regularly to test the offsite copy but have
always later wiped it with a new sync from the live set so I don't know
if there is any harm done to using it as an md device after that.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com