[CentOS] Un Installing a hard drive in a Centos 5.1 box

Pam Astor

pamastor at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 21:34:33 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to Linux and I'm trying to un install a hard drive from my Centos 5.1 box running KDE.  When I built the PC, I installed two 500 gig maxtors in the tower, then I installed Centos.  Now I've decided that I want to remove the slave drive and use it as an external backup drive - I am mounting it into one of those external drive cases with a built in fan.

When I physically removed the drive and restarted the PC, centos would not boot up and went into a kernel panic.  I'm sure I'm supposed to somehow unmount the thing before I do this, and that's my question - how do I un-install the hard drive - software wise - so that on next boot up, centos don't go crazy looking for it?