[CentOS] Should I update to DRBD 82?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Mar 17 00:04:29 UTC 2008

Amos Shapira wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This morning I noticed the following output from "yum update":
>
> Installing:
>  drbd82                  x86_64     8.2.5-1.el5.centos  extras
> 209 k
>      replacing  drbd.x86_64 8.0.11-1.el5.centos

It should also install the kmod-drbd82 rpm that you need ... you need to
make sure you get the proper one (just like you already do for drbd-8).

> As far as I'm aware DRBD works fine for me. Is there a way I can find out
> about the new release and weather I should upgrade?

Basically, see the details here:

http://www.drbd.org/releases.html

> I can't figure out the CentOS issue tracking system at bugs.centos.org but a
> google site search came up with
> http://bugs.centos.org/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=2657 (a DRBD 82 tracker bug
> with empty reports), which makes me feel like this version of the package is
> not 100% trusted.
>
> So - should I upgrade it or not?

That is up to you :D .. but drbd82 (which is currently drbd-8.2.5) is a
replacement for drbd-8.0.x for CentOS-5.

If you look at the drbd.org site, drbd-7 is really no longer getting any
updates and is moving towards EOL in October 2008, and drbd-8.0.x is
feature frozen and not getting any more features, though it will get
security only updates from linbit.

All the updates are really happening in drbd-8.2.x and that is going to
be the live version moving forward.  The drbd maintainers recommended
that CentOS use dbdd-8.2.x, which is why we are moving to it.

> Generally, I try to stick to the "standard" as much as I can, but the text
> in http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories gives an impression that "if it's in
> Extras, it's well tested".

drbd82 is an upgrade for CentOS-5 users who currently have drbd-8.  It
obsoletes drbd-8.0.x series in extras and it has been tested, as has
upgrades from drbd-8.0.x to drbd82.  All your config files from 8.0
should work in 8.2 and the upgrade SHOULD BE completely seamless, just
like moving from 8.0.10 to 8.0.11, etc.

For CentOS-4 users there is also a new drbd82 ... however, the update
from drbd-0.7.x to drbd-8.2.5 is NOT seamless.  Because of this, the
drbd82 does not obsolete drbd on CentOS-4, but instead it is a conflict
for drbd ... meaning you can't have both installed at the same time. For
  CentOS-4 users, you need to upgrade following this guide:

http://fghaas.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/step-by-step-upgrade-from-drbd-07-to-drbd-8/

I will maintain version 0.7.x in CentOS 4 extras as long as it builds
and works until CentOS-4 EOL, and drbd-82 will also be an option in
CentOS-4.

In CentOS-5, however, only drbd82 will be getting updates in the future
and it is a replacement for drbd-8.0.x.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes