[CentOS] Intel SATA controller (cmiiw) not recognized by Centos 5.1 installation?

Yu-Hui Jin

yuhui.jin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 17:06:30 UTC 2008

Hi, there,

I tried to install Centos 5.1 on a Dell Inspiron 530 box I just bought, but
failed due to invalid drive. The installation did not recognize either the
DVD nor the hard disk.  Joseph from the community said it is likely that
Centos can't recognize the controller -- Intel SATA controller (cmiiw).

Did anyone solve this problem before?  How did you do it?

Here's the related configuration for my box:
Inspiron 530 Intel Core2 processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/Quad Core
Technology and 8MB cache
SATA 0: Samsung HD501LJ    (500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive(7200RPM))
SATA 1: PDBS DVD +/- RW DH-16W1S   (16X DVD+/-RW Drive)

Many thanks!

regards,
-Hui