[CentOS] RPM verify weirdness

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Mar 19 03:55:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008, Gavin Carr wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Can anyone explain this to me? (CentOS 4/5)
>
>  # rpm -qf /etc/exports
>  setup
>  # rpm -V setup
>  S.5....T c /etc/bashrc
>  S.5....T c /etc/printcap
>  ..?..... c /etc/securetty
>  # echo '#### foo' > /etc/exports
>  # cat /etc/exports
>  #### foo
>  # rpm -V setup
>  S.5....T c /etc/bashrc
>  S.5....T c /etc/printcap
>  ..?..... c /etc/securetty
>
>I thought verify was supposed to check every file in the package?

It does, only displaying changes.  The ones with ? are most
likely zero length.

The ``c'' characters in the middle indicate configuration files,
and changes are often normal.

Bill

A child can go only so far in life without potty training.  It is not
mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty
trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.
		-- Dave Barry