[CentOS] Server to server communication

D Steward dsteward at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 19 04:25:48 UTC 2008

> How often does the data change and how critical is it to have real-time
> results.  Web sites often have thousands of people getting copies of the
> same thing, or at least computed from the same values even if they are
> the same only for a short period of time.
The servers will exchange sensitive data hopefully with a latency of <
50ms.
Ping time between them is 20ms.

> One approach is to put
> memcached between your web application and the database for extremely
> fast repeated access to the same data. It is just a cache layer, though,
> you still need a persistent database underneath.
> http://www.danga.com/memcached/

Ahh, thanks. I forgot about memcached. I am presently using some
in-memory MySQL tables, but I'll have to benchmark this against
memcached.
But the 2nd server was procured to relieve the CPU load on the main one.
Even with a 16-way Opteron, this situation would have had to be faced
eventually.

It looks to me like OpenAMQ will be the ultimate solution
I'm amazed that RedHat with a finger in almost every opensource pie
hasn't backed this or come out with their own competing option, since it
appears to tie in very nicely with clusters.