[CentOS] RPM verify weirdness

Gavin Carr gavin at openfusion.com.au
Wed Mar 19 06:16:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 01:41:39AM -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> > > From the spec file:
> > >
> > > %verify(not md5 size mtime) %config(noreplace) /etc/exports
> > >
> > > rpm has been explicitly told to *not* check certain traits.
> >
> > Ah, very cool, thanks. Any pointers to why one would do this?
>
> Verifying against a stock /etc/bashrc is useful, since it influences
> system behavior. Verifying against a stock /etc/exports is not, beyond
> who owns the file and what permissions it has.

Thanks Ignacio. I guess that makes sense, for certain values of 'verify'.

I'm trying to use this for backup though, so I really _want_ to know if
the md5sum has changed. Anyone know of some kind of undocumented
--forcefiles option to rpm -V, or am I going to by rolling it myself via
--dump?

Cheers,
Gavin