[CentOS] Incremental backups?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Mar 20 00:46:57 UTC 2008

On Friday, March 14, 2008 11:12 PM -0500 Les Mikesell
<lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want something easier and can live with disk based backups instead
> of tape, look at backuppc (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/).  I still
> run amanda because I set it up about 10 years ago and never have to do
> anything but change the tapes, but I take the tapes offsite and would
> only restore from them after a disaster.  For day-to-day stuff it is much
> easier to grab a copy or do a restore from the on-line web interface of
> backuppc.

I combine this with dump to an external USB drive. I stop the BackupPC
service during the dump to idle the system. If you use LVM, you could
instead generate a filesystem snapshot and dump that. (I didn't know about
the snapshot feature until I'd already installed CentOS 5 and it used the
whole partition for the volume.)