[CentOS] Fedora user moving to CentOS

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 19:00:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Tim Alberts <talberts at msiscales.com> wrote:
> Greetings, I'm a Fedora user likely going to switch to CentOS in the
>  next few days.  I'm wondering if anyone has some heads up advice for
>  me?  I am very familiar with FC6 and before so I anticipate few problems
>  I haven't already seen (and know were fixed).
>
>  The main reason for the move is so I don't have to re-install so
>  frequently and hopefully not have to deal with so many daily updates.  I
>  would use the 'upstream vendor' (respectfully), but I work under no IT $
>  budget.

If you are going to do a 'reinstall' of the systems.. you should have
no problems. If you do a up-grade from Fedora-6 to CentOS there will
be a couple of problems as the packages in 6 kept on moving forward
after the 'fork' in the road. I needed to hand install packages to get
past this so that I didnt end up with 'unsupported' but 'newer' items
on my box. The best method I had was:

rpm -qa --qf='%{NAME}-%{VERSION}\n' | sort > oldrpms
and then compare that with what 5 had in them to look for
conflicts/version changes. Make sure I had plans on how to upgrade
those by hand (I think the kernel and the glibc were the tricky ones
where I needed to do some reboot shuffles to get it cleanly working.)