[CentOS] RHEL on The Pirate Bay, Mininova, etc

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Mar 22 22:52:57 UTC 2008

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:29:54PM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> You can not redistribute the redhat-logos or redhat-artwork binary
>>> packages to others unless you are selling your media.  You also can not
>>> distribute those 2 source or binary RPMS without editing and removing the
>>> logos / trademark related things in them.  Since the ISOs in question on
>>> the Bittorrent sites distribute those files, they are illegal per Red
>>> Hat's trademark policies.
>>>
>>> Now USING the RHEL discs (not distributing them to others, but installing
>>> on your own equipment) is a totally different story (and much more
>>> restrictive).  You may not install any RHEL packages that are provided by
>>> Red Hat on ANY machines that you have not purchased an entitlement for.
>>> That means on test machines, production machines, whatever.  No
>>> entitlement, no install allowed.  It does not matter whether you want
>>> "Support" or not.
>>>
>>> Red Hat has the right to audit your equipment for up to 1 year after your
>>> last license expires for compliance.
>> wow, that goes way beyond what I thought.      Can you point to an
>> authoritative reference for this?  I'd like to hit some guys over the head
>> with it at work, they install RHEL4 all over the place without contracts
>> (or updates), it drives me nuts, I keep saying "USE CENTOS" and its like
>> 'oh, vendor XYZ says they only support RHEL', and my arguing that they
>> aren't paying for any support doesn't seem to matter.
>>

> What we need is a case that's been taken to court and a verdict given.
> :)  I've long tried to get an answer from RH as to whether or not I can
> reinstall their media on other machines just "without" buying an
> entitlement (after all you can continue using RH after the 30 demo
> expires).
>
> I've never gotten an answer from RH on this, and I have heard solid
> interpretations of their EULA from both sides.
>
> I try real hard to make sure all copies of RHEL are licensed at my
> $DAYJOB, but I know RH isn't overly anal about it either.

The License Agreement is VERY CLEAR ... there is no room for
misinterpretation:

http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_us_3.html

"This Agreement establishes the terms and conditions under which Red Hat
will provide Software and Services to Client. "Software" means Red Hat
Enterprise Linux and other software programs branded by Red Hat and/or
its affiliates including all modifications, additions or further
developments thereto delivered by Red Hat."

"For Subscription Services, Client agrees to pay Red Hat for each
Installed System. An "Installed System" means a system on which Client
installs or executes all or a portion of the Software, which may be,
without limitation, a server, work station, virtual machine, blade,
node, partition, or engine, as applicable."

"Client will promptly notify Red Hat if the number of Installed Systems
exceeds the number of Installed Systems for which Client has paid the
applicable fee. In its notice, Client will include both the number of
additional Installed Systems and the date(s) on which such Installed
Systems were put into use. Red Hat will invoice Client for the
applicable Services for such Installed Systems on a pro-rata basis and
Client will pay for such Services in accordance with this Agreement."

"During the term of this Agreement and for one (1) year thereafter, Red
Hat or its designated agent may inspect and review Client's facilities
and records in order to verify Client's compliance with this Agreement.
Any such inspection and review will take place only during Client's
normal business hours and upon no less than ten (10) days prior written
notice from Red Hat. Red Hat will give Client written notice of any
non-compliance, including the number of underreported Installed Systems,
and Client will have fifteen (15) days from the date of such notice to
make payment to Red Hat for the applicable Services provided to the
underreported Installed Systems. If Client had underreported the number
of Installed Systems by more than five percent (5%), Client will also
pay Red Hat for the cost of such inspection."