[CentOS] RHEL on The Pirate Bay, Mininova, etc

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sun Mar 23 01:31:28 UTC 2008

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

>>  for them all.
>>
>>  How one could read that any other way is beyond me.
>>

> The usual idea is that because its "Free" Software you can't restrict
> it in anyway... and that the 'Freedom' trumps any other license or
> agreement. And I will bet that if you have enough money, there will be
> lawyers who will come up with ways to argue that is a valid
> interpretation.. and will argue it over and over again as long as you
> have money.

If you enter into a legally binding contract, then you waive your rights
as specified in the contract.  I mean, it is not against the law to by
parts from Jim's hardware store ... but if John promises to give you a
30% discount if you sign an exclusivity deal that he provides all your
parts, and then you still buy parts from Jim, you are violating the
contract.  If the contract that you signed specifies a penalty for
violation, then you will incur the penalty.

If you don't like the contract, use SUSE or Ubuntu or Fedora or CentOS
or any number of other distros ...