[CentOS] Frustration with yum

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:40:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
> I suppose it's more of a frustration with myself, but can some kind soul
>  please help me with the procedure to tell yum a package is in fact
>  installed?  Here is the output from the command "yum update".

>  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-db = 0.92.1-1.el4.rf for package: clamav
>  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-lib = 0.88.2-2.el4.kb for package:
>  clamav-server
>  --> Processing Dependency: libclamav.so.1 for package: clamav-server
>  --> Processing Dependency: clamd = 0.92.1-1.el4.rf for package:
>  clamav-milter
>  --> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
>  --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
>  ---> Package clamav-lib.i386 0:0.88.2-2.el4.kb set to be updated
>  --> Running transaction check
>  --> Processing Dependency: clamav-db = 0.92.1-1.el4.rf for package: clamav
>  --> Processing Dependency: clamd = 0.92.1-1.el4.rf for package:
>  clamav-milter
>  --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>  Error: Missing Dependency: clamav-db = 0.92.1-1.el4.rf is needed by
>  package clamav
>  Error: Missing Dependency: clamd = 0.92.1-1.el4.rf is needed by package
>  clamav-milter
>

>  As you can see in the last two lines, clamav-db and clamd appear to be
>  missing, but I assure you, clamav-milter and clamav as well as the
>  database are here, and running quite well.  I even went so far as to do
>  an erase of both, and both times, yum shows them as being installed. Of
>  course I did not erase them, but if it finds them to be installed, why
>  does it say they are missing during an update attempt?
>
>  I'm off the digest currently, so I can more quickly respond with further
>  info if needed.

Okay. Take a look at clamav-db = 0.92.1-1.el4.rf for package: clamav
then look at clamav-lib = 0.88.2-2.el4.kb for package: clamav-server

One is from the kbs repo, and one is from rpmforge. Mostly, you're
mixing similar packages from different repositories. This is a bad
thing, and the  reason for the existence of priorities, and
protectbase plugins, as well as include/exclude statements on a per
repository basis.

George Orwell