[CentOS] simple DNS question - reverse nslookup fails.

vincenzo romero new2xen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 19:57:14 UTC 2008

>  where 192.168.17.db is the name of the zone file.
>
>  A good reference for DNS is
>     http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/

thank you for the reference and response... I have also checked the
above and reviewed it.... and attempted to follow the configuration
file samples;  however I noticed in CentOS is that I either:

- use the Bind Configuration Tool
or
- configure DNS manually (byhand, hence the above reference should be followed).

As I am a newbie, I attempted to configure using the Bind
Configuration Tool (GUI) that automatically creates my records files;
The questions I have are:

1.  Is there some URL or reference that has a "step-by-step-DNS
configuration" based upon the Bind configuration Tool (GUI)?  the
manuals is not a cookbook and could potentially cause newbies to make
mistakes.  the HOW-TO-FORGE document - does NOT show step-by-step but
only shows how to INSTALL bind.  ... If anyone is aware of such a
link, I would appreciate pointers to where.

2.  I did not seem to find a place to configure my /etc/resolv.conf -
do I configure this from the Network Manager?  Again, I feel that I
should configure all via GUI since it seems that if I configure
sometimes by editing files or by GUI, then the configuration gets
messed up.

thanks in advance,