[CentOS] /etc/resolv.conf changes

vincenzo romero new2xen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:31:43 UTC 2008

>  So your first case is ALMOST right. resolv.conf should not point to the
>  loopback address, but to the static address of the host. But if you have
>  not configured NM for static addressing, well you get what you got.

thanks much for replies ... so to be clear:

qatest1 - 192.168.17.1 (DHCP server)
qatest2 - 192.168.17.2 (DNS server)

- both have STATIC-assigned IP address.

1.  So I SHOULD leave the DNS entries in /etc/resolv.conf (whether GUI
or not) - blank in the DNS server - qatest2?  I tried to configure it
via the GUI this time with:
hostname - qatest2
Primary DNS - 192.168.17.2   # which is its own IP address
Search - lab.mycompany.com

After restarting, when I cat /etc/resolv.conf it refers to its loopback address:

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
search lab.mycompany.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

2.  In the meantime, I configured qatest1 - the DHPC server belonging
within qatest2's DNS domain, with the following in Network Manager
GUI:
hostname - qatest1
Primary DNS - 192.168.17.2 (which is the DNS server's IP)
searchpath - lab.mycompany.com

upon restart its /etc/resolv.conf file seems to be correct:

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
search lab.mycompany.com
nameserver 192.168.17.2

Should I leave my DNS server's /etc/resolv.conf file entries blank?

Thanks in advance,