[CentOS] Securing SSH

Carlos Daniel Ruvalcaba Valenzuela clsdaniel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 07:29:43 UTC 2008

We have a public server and we did the following for SSH:

* Only Protocol v2
* Only key authentication, no password and large keys (just for the fun).
* Disable root login.
* Monitoring, we usually blacklists IPs trying to log in with many
unsuccessful attempts, using some custom scripts and iptables, but
there is many programs available for this now.

Additionally you could also add:

 * Throttling, you could throttle the amount of connections to the
port, there is already many tutorials on this on the internet.

I find setting a non standard port useless, all you need is to keep
your ssh server updated (including libraries) and follow common
security criteria and you should sleep soundly every night.