[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

John jses27 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 17:32:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 10:16 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-26-2008 6:55 AM Ray Leventhal spake the following:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm fighting with samba on a new CentOS 5.1 install.
> >
> > The goal here is to have unix/linux usernames/passwords used for the
> > samba shares (which i'll setup using webmin, as I find it easy that
> > way).  At present, the home share and one for the company's public share
> > are in place.
> >
> > I can see the server, browsing from WinXP to \\172.16.0.106, but
> > permissions seem amiss.  I should be able to read/write to a given share
> > but it seems to be ro.
> >
> > Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > My simple smb.conf file is here:
> >
> > [global]
> >        netbios name = BACKUP
> >        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> >        force directory mode = 777
> >        unix password sync = yes
> >        workgroup = WORKGROUP
> >        force create mode = 777
> >        os level = 20
> >        encrypt passwords = yes
> >        security = share
> >        public = yes
> >        passdb backend = smbpasswd
> >        directory mode = 777
> >

> > [homes]
> >        writeable = yes
> >        public = yes
> >        path = /home
> >
> > [company data]
> >        comment = company data
> >        writeable = yes
> >        create mode = 775
> >        path = /home/share1
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> > -Ray
> If you are going to use smb passwords anyway, why set security to "share?
> You should set security to "user" and make sure you keep unix users and samba
> users synced.  For public shares you can set a shared user and group, and make
> shared directories keep those perms.

Not to highjack the thread but on to samba security (user and share
mode) as I am having a problem with it. Can you link me to some sort of
samba docs that fully explain user and share mode. Also why user mode
will not work with some forms of authentication.
See Link:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=13357&forum=39

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079