[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 18:44:23 UTC 2008

Scott Silva wrote:

> Not to complain about hijacking threads (which is very irritating), but
> I think the link you have referenced is more a problem with the CIFS
> protocol and not samba security. Samba share mode is more for shares
> that you want everybody to have access to. Home directories, other
> shares, whatever you put on there gets shared like the new girl in the
> commune.
>
> You can have user security, and still share all sorts of common
> directories with no restrictions.

But... In user (or server) modes you must authenticate the connection
before any shares are even seen so you can't connect to two different
shares on the same server with different credentials.  So if you have
anything 'public' you'll end up as a guest user.

In share mode, connections to different shares are made and
authenticated separately and you don't have to authenticate at all to
see the list of 'browsable' shares.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com