[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:30:09 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 19:20:22 Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > This is becoming a real hijack, which I didn't intend.  However,
> >
> > All users that are intended to be able to share have a user account on
> > the samba server.  All users have samba passwords matching their login
> > passwords, whether in windows or linux.  I couldn't even get their home
> > directories to show using 'user' mode.
> >
> > Anne
>
> FWIW, Anne, I don't consider it a hijack at all, as my issues are
> definitely being addressed here too :)

Thank you for that.  If we can all benefit it's definitely worth while.

> I am in exactly the same boat as you are indicating.  In 'share' mode,
> all is visible, in 'user' mode I can't seem to authenticate at all.

The infuriating thing is that I used to be able to use 'user' in an older
version of samba.  I've been using samba for about 5 years, and the problems
have just grown during the last couple of years, but this one just will not
go away.

Anne