[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:40:04 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2008 18:59:41 Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> Like John, I fought long and hard to get user share working.  I read
>>> Eeverything I could, including buying Samba3 by Example.  In the end I
>>> admitted defeat and went back to shares.
>> If you really want a public share with no authentication at all, share
>> mode is probably the best approach.  If everyone that should have access
>> is logged into a windows domain anyway, you can transparently accept
>> this authentication and either keep their user id (as for a home
>> directory share) or force it or their group id into something that gives
>> common r/w access to a share.   You can also do the latter with explicit
>> logins against uses in the smbpasswd file.
>>
> This is becoming a real hijack, which I didn't intend.  However,
>
> All users that are intended to be able to share have a user account on the
> samba server.  All users have samba passwords matching their login passwords,
> whether in windows or linux.  I couldn't even get their home directories to
> show using 'user' mode.

If they are logged into a windows domain, they will send the domain
credentials, like it or not - and you really want the windows login to
match the linux name for home directories to work.  If you set
security = server
and
password server = your_domain_controller
(which I think needs to be resolvable in dns after adding your search
domains)
everything should just be transparent.

--
   Les Mikesell