[CentOS] A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Mar 27 01:11:37 UTC 2008

Morten Nilsen wrote:
> - Why does the screen flicker on and off several times during boot and
> when logging in?

mine does not, so cant say what is going on with your setup, perhaps posting
some more info about your setup might help make it easier to diagnose.

> - Why does floppy.so get loaded? I have no floppy, and having floppy.so
> loaded while installing certain packages is dreadfully slow.

nothing like that is loaded on my machine. I dont have a fdd either.

> - When I chose a pure console environment, without any X11 stuff, why
> did a bunch of gnome packages get installed?

CentOS comes with a package manager, yum. There is a man page for that, and lots
of docs online. You can use that to remove anything you dont need.

- KB