[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Ray Leventhal centos at swhi.net
Thu Mar 27 13:56:15 UTC 2008

John R Pierce wrote:
> ok, virgin CentOS 4.6 w/ updates, was a minimal install.    From the
> top...
>
> # yum -y install samba samba-swat
<big snip>

> Anyways, assuming all of the above, from the windows station, start ->
> run -> \\linuxserver\username
> and voila, you should get your home directory in a window.   if it
> prompts for user/pass, enter it as specified above.    Don't freak if
> username gets changed into SERVERNAME\username, thats how windows
> distinguinshes between DOMAIN\user and LOCAL\user accounts.

John, thank you so much for the step by step.  I'd done most of that but
retraced my steps using your guide (for CentOS5.1) and found the issues
one at a time.  The first was, as many hinted at, the synchronization
between unix un/pw and smbpasswd.  I'd assumed that Webmin 1.4x was
doing this correctly - it even stated it was 'the same' when comparing
usernames/passwords, but when I redid my users by hand with the
smbpasswd utility, all started to work.  It's a small network, <20
users...so this wasn't a hardship and will be scripted in the future.

@Scott - man, your conf file saved me hours of time and thanks to it and
your help all is working as expected.

@Ross - Great ideas about scripting and usage for on-the-fly home
creation.  I've read a lot on that and will likely be doing just that in
the future.

@ Les - great help on share vs user and general info on samba
terminology.  Cut my learning curve deeply.

Kai, Akemi, Anne...thank you for the great thread input. Sharing this
kind of stuff makes the whole thing so much more easily handled and
insights from you all have been very helpful

To all - Not enough good things can be said about the project and this
list.  I've learned so much over the past few days  - and while I know
there's much more to learn, I  can't wait to be able to contribute to
this awesome community in the future.

Thanks again,
-Ray