[CentOS] A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Mar 27 14:02:20 UTC 2008

Morten Nilsen wrote:
> On 3/27/2008, "Karanbir Singh" <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
>>> no, that's not it.. the monitor goes into power off mode - the LED turns
>>> orange.
>> Sounds like your monitor does not like switching modes between text /
>> gui perhaps ?
>
> Which GUI are you referring to? I removed all the X11 stuff..
>
> Also, one time I booted, it had some problems starting some service, and
> that time the monitor stayed off.. had to ssh in to resolve it..That may
> indicate that someting in the sysinit shuts off the monitor at the start
> of a script, then turns it back on at the end..

Do these options exist in /boot/grub/grub.conf on the "Kernel" line:

quiet rhgb

If so, please remove them if you do not want X on the server.  These 2
things try (during boot up) to take away the standard startup screen and
replace it with a Blue background and picture.  This uses X, which could
cause something if it has been removed and the options are still listed.

Removing those options (if they are there) should fix that issue.

We do not seem to have php-mssql for CentOS extras as it requires
freetds and we were concerned about potential patent issues with
freetds.  However, it seems Fedora is including freetds now in version 8
and version 9, so I will research this freetds issue again and if we
think we can safely build and distribute freetds I will get it into our
extras repo soon. If not, you should be able to easily build it ... but
I think we will add it, so not to worry.

on a separate note:

Also ... some rpms do require certain things to be available, and the
binaries are LINKED against the shared libraries.  So, one can not just
delete (for example) all xorg-x11 RPMS just because you don't want X. If
you did use "rpm -e" (with a --force or --nodeps) then it should be OK
since if a library is necessary, RPM will complain and not do the
removal unless overridden.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes