[CentOS] Re: A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Mar 27 17:20:31 UTC 2008

Morten Nilsen wrote:
> Robert Nichols wrote:
>> If you installed 5.0, you're missing a LOT of updates.  The normal update
>> mechanism should bring your machine up to 5.1 unless you've taken action
>> to lock it to the 5.0 release.
>
> When I installed this box, 5.1 wasn't out yet..
> And, no I haven't taken any kind of action to lock it to 5.0.
>
> I have run "yum update" a few times, but I don't see any signs of it
> wanting to upgrade to 5.1..

The upgrade to 5.1 is seamless.  Your actual version (the replacement for
"$releasever" in the URL in the yum config file) is "5", not "5.0", which
will always track the latest release.  Sounds like the kernel version
(currently kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5) is not what is causing your problem.

                 Do NOT delete it.