[CentOS] A few questions regarding CentOS (5.0)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Mar 27 17:56:30 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:

<snip>

> We do not seem to have php-mssql for CentOS extras as it requires
> freetds and we were concerned about potential patent issues with
> freetds.  However, it seems Fedora is including freetds now in version 8
> and version 9, so I will research this freetds issue again and if we
> think we can safely build and distribute freetds I will get it into our
> extras repo soon. If not, you should be able to easily build it ... but
> I think we will add it, so not to worry.

<snip>

OK, for the record, freetds and php-mssql have been added to the
CentOS-5 extras repo on the master server.  Expect them to be on
mirror.centos.org in the next hour and on the external public mirrors
with a day.

BTW, Jim Perrin (one of our developers ... aka Evolution on freenode
IRC) says that using the freetds and unixODBC driver is a better method
to connect:

http://www.bofh-hunter.com/2008/03/27/chatting-with-mssql/

So now you have 2 CentOS repo options to talk to mssql :D

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes