[CentOS] Re: how do I create a custom CD from an existing CD?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Mar 27 18:58:07 UTC 2008

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Scott Silva wrote:
>>> on 3-26-2008 3:49 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:

>>> Depending on what you want to change, it is more involved than that.
>>> Are you trying to customize packages or something else?

>> I actually remove some of the scripts, and use a custom kickstart
>> file, but here it is:
>> http://blog.softdux.com/everything-todo-with-linux/linux-howtos/hot-tips/how-to-create-custom-linux-iso-images.html
>> :)
>>
> That won't work .... :D
>
> If you remove packages (or add, upgrade any packages) then you must
> rerun the installler (buildinstall).
>
> You must also regenerate the repodata in the root of the CD/DVD.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

It's working...... I'm literally only deleting the RPM's I don't want,
rebuilding the ISO, and using it on bare bone servers. cPanel for
instance needs a bare bone server with nothing installed, so there's no
point to have a full DVD, or even CD if I don't need it. Using a
kickstart file, I've been able to install very specific stuff like mrtg,
mutt, lynx, sshd, etc (which are scattered on different CD's), so I
download only the RPM's I wanted, put them in the kickstart file,
re-created the ISO with the command above, and it's working. I'm
currently  working on a way to setup different software RAID levels,
according to the number & type of HDD's in the system

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com