[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:35:57 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2008 18:58:16 Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 3-27-2008 11:40 AM Anne Wilson spake the following:
>>> I guess that when I've nothing more urgent to do I ought to read up on
>>> NFS.
>>>
>>> Anne
>> NFS will be much better for the linux to linux connections because it
>> passes native system calls on the files instead of a protocol that is
>> emulated and made to work.
>
> OK - apart from man pages and general googling, any particular recommended
> reading?

It's not that complicated unless you want automounting. On the server,
edit /etc/exports and add something like:

/home  192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,async,no_root_squash)
(your client subnet, of course)
and
service nfs restart
(or exportfs -a if it is already running)

and on the clients where you want the same /home mounted
in /etc/fstab add:
server_name:/home  /home     nfs     exec,rw,bg,soft,intr 0 0
and 'mount -a'

You need to have consistent login name to uid mapping across machines
and all the usual 'yum install nfs', chkconfig and service invocations
apply for installing and managing it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com