[CentOS] Installing Postfix/Dovecot

Giulio Troccoli giulio.troccoli at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 20:00:29 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2008 19:04:02 Giulio Troccoli wrote:
>
> No, you are misunderstanding this.  Your line needs to be
>
> mynetworks = 192.168.69.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
>
> The /24 denotes a Class C network, which yours is, and the final part is the
> loopback address.

Those were just testing when what suggested didn't work. My main.cf now
has exactly what you say.

> Now for the mail sending.  Have you got a file called 'transport'
> under /etc/postfix?  And one called transport.db?  This last one is what
> tells postfix where to send things.  The transport file needs lines like
>
> lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
> .lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
> *	smtp:[smtp:mailhost.zen.co.uk]
>
> where the first two lines define that anything addressed to anyone at lydgate.lan
> is local, and should be delivered onto my imap server.  The last one sends
> everything else to my ISP.
>
> When they are ready, you just run 'postmap transport' and it creates the
> database.

I didn't know this. I change the transport file and done 'postmap
transport'. I have also restarted postfix, just in case, but still no
joy. However, are those your settings so that I should have something like

troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
.troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
*      smtp:[smtp:tiscali.co.uk]

where 192.168.69.25 is the IP address of my mail server?
> You also need to make sure that your system knows you want to use
> postfix.sendmail, instead of just sendmail.

I have previously run system-switch-mail and chose postfix.

Giulio