[CentOS] Installing Postfix/Dovecot

Giulio Troccoli giulio.troccoli at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Mar 27 20:54:34 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2008 20:00:29 Giulio Troccoli wrote:
>
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>

>>> Now for the mail sending.  Have you got a file called 'transport'
>>> under /etc/postfix?  And one called transport.db?  This last one is what
>>> tells postfix where to send things.  The transport file needs lines like
>>>
>>> lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
>>> .lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
>>> *	smtp:[smtp:mailhost.zen.co.uk]
>>>
>>> where the first two lines define that anything addressed to
>>> anyone at lydgate.lan is local, and should be delivered onto my imap server.
>>>  The last one sends everything else to my ISP.
>>>
>>> When they are ready, you just run 'postmap transport' and it creates the
>>> database.
>>>
>> I didn't know this. I change the transport file and done 'postmap
>> transport'. I have also restarted postfix, just in case, but still no
>> joy. However, are those your settings so that I should have something like
>>
>> troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
>> .troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
>> *      smtp:[smtp:tiscali.co.uk]
>>
>> where 192.168.69.25 is the IP address of my mail server?
>>

> That should be fine.
>

>>> You also need to make sure that your system knows you want to use
>>> postfix.sendmail, instead of just sendmail.
>>>
>> I have previously run system-switch-mail and chose postfix.
>>

> That would make the necessary links.  Now, if postfix can send your mail out,
> either to local or to your isp, what happens to the local mail. and how are
> you going to read it?  In my system it is then forwarded to procmail, which
> sorts it into the relevant folders under dovecot's structure.

I have tried both mail and Thunderbird. mail of course doesn't work
because it read from /var/spool/mail while postfix puts the email in
Maildir. However I would have thought that I could download the emails
with Thunderbird (on my laptop).

I hope you're not saying I have to install procmail too. I'd like to
keep the system as simple as possible: postfix, dovecot, squirrelmail
and majordomo (later) are enough.

Giulio