[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Mar 27 21:56:06 UTC 2008

on 3-27-2008 2:14 PM John spake the following:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:28 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Wednesday 26 March 2008 20:28:09 Scott Silva wrote:
>>> on 3-26-2008 1:01 PM Ray Leventhal spake the following:

>>> Some sanitized areas marked ***removed***
>>> A server that will also do domain logins and roaming profiles;
>>>
>> As I said, mine is a simple LAN.  Here is the current version of [global]
>> section and some of the shares.  The 'domain master' line has never been in
>> any of my older setups, but it was put in to cure the frequent battles to
>> resolve masterships, mainly caused by family laptops that are not directly
>> under my control.
>>
>> [global]
>>
>> workgroup = lydgate.lan
>> server string = Samba Server Version %v
>> netbios name = borg2
>> log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>> hosts allow = 192.168.0.  127.0.
>> acl compatibility = winnt
>> wins support = yes
>> local master = yes
>> domain master = yes
>> domain logons = no
>> os level = 66
>> preferred master = yes
>> load printers = yes
>> printing = cups
>>
>> #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
>>
>> [homes]
>> comment = Home Directories
>> browseable = no
>> read only = no
>> case sensitive = no
>> strict locking = no
>> #msdf proxy = yes
>>
>> [DATA2]
>> path = /Data2
>> #read only = no
>> writeable = yes
>> public = yes
>>
>> [DATA3]
>> path = /Data3/
>> #read only = no
>> writeable = yes
>> valid users = anne gillian david
>>
>> The commented lines are ones that have been tried in both states, as 'read
>> only' and 'writeable' seem to be preferable depending on which version of
>> samba is being used.
>>
>> The security= line is no longer present (I gather from the advice I was given
>> that the default is then 'user').  Home directories do not display.
>>
>> I am able to mount both my home and the main data directory from fstab. using
>> a credentials file.
>>
>> Anne
>
> Anne, I think your directories are not visable because you do not have
> "browsable  = yes" in the share setups section??? Try that?

If you set browsable to yes, then EVERYBODIES home directories show up.
That is not usually what you want. If you want to share everything, just make
one share and put everything under it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and