[CentOS] Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:15:54 UTC 2008

John wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 14:56 -0700, Scott Silva wrote:
>
>>> Anne, I think your directories are not visable because you do not have
>>> "browsable  = yes" in the share setups section??? Try that?
>> If you set browsable to yes, then EVERYBODIES home directories show up.
>> That is not usually what you want. If you want to share everything, just make
>> one share and put everything under it.
>>
> OK so when user mode is used your saying the directory is only viewable
> by the current user logged in and all of them is Viewable by root?
> Correct??

In user mode you authenticate the connection before being allowed to
browse anything so the system knows who you are first, and the home
share is slightly magical in that users only can see their own home
directory.  Other shares may be configured as browsable or not but it is
the same for everyone.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com