[CentOS] Re: Installing Postfix/Dovecot [SOLVED]

Ned Slider nedslider at f2s.com
Thu Mar 27 23:07:37 UTC 2008

Giulio Troccoli wrote:

>> I have just installed CentOS 5.1 on my home server and I am trying to
>> set a mail server.
>>
>> I have diligently followed the instructions on the Wiki - How To on
>> the CentOS website (http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix). However I
>> cannot send internal email (I haven't yet tried externally).
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions on what to check? To test it I used two
>> normail user: giulio and federica. I logged in as federica and sent an
>> email to giulio with the mail programme. Is this correct (i.e. using
>> the mail programme)?
>>
>> There is one thing that I don't quite understand from the
>> instructions. In section 3.1 it's suggested to set
>>
>> mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
>>
>> in the /etc/postfix/main.cf file. My home network however is
>> 192.168.69.0 and actually the IP assigned to any computers in the
>> networks start from 192.168.69.20. So I changed mynetworks to
>> 192.168.69.0/24 and also 192.168.69.19/30 (as my server IP address is
>> actully 192.168.69.25). I don't think this is the cause of my problem
>> anyway, because it didn't work even with the value suggested by the
>> Wiki page.
>>
>> Thanks for you help
>> Giulio
>>
> Well,
>
> after putting the correct settings in /etc/postfix/main.cf
>
> mynetworks = 192.168.69.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
>
> AND commented out the line
>
> #mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp
>
> restarted postfix and I can download my email with Thunderbird. I cannot
> read them on the server with mail but I don't care about that
>
> Thanks everybody for your help
> Giulio

Hi Giulio,

First up, glad to hear you have it working. I apologize for being late
to join the discussion - it was just pointed out to me.

I am the author of the postfix/dovecot Wiki guide. If you feel the guide
is inaccurate or misleading in any way, or any aspects could be improved
to make it easier to follow or understand, please do not hesitate to
offer feedback - we are always looking to constantly improve the quality
of documentation.

I'm not sure why you needed to commented out mailbox_transport =
lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp, this should have been commented out
by default unless you'd uncommented it at some point.

Regards,

Ned