[CentOS] Xen3.2 rpm's?

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 28 15:12:06 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Does anyone know when the Xen3.2 rpm's will be part of the
> >> CentOS repo's?
> >>

> > CentOS 6 probably.
> >
> > Upstream really can't change the Xen hypervisor too much within
> > a release as that goes against the distribution's philosophy.
> >
> > If you really want Xen 3.2, why not download the CentOS 5 rpms
> > from xen.org and use it. It works transparently with the CentOS
> > kernel package and updates the CentOS Xen packages.
> >
> > Just remember to change the Xen kernel name in grub each time
> > the CentOS kernel changes! I still forget to do this and it
> > bites me all the time :-(
>
> Cause I want to use it on a kickstart file, but someone on the kickstart
> list just showed me how to install those rpm's from the kickstart file,
> so I'll try that and see what hapens.
>
> Do I still use the xen-2.6.18-53 kernel?
> kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.6.el5.x86_64.rpm

Yes, continue to use the CentOS supplied kernels.

> What do you mean I need to rename it in the grub menu? What
> happens if I don't?

Here's what I mean, when you install a CentOS Xen kernel the grub
menu for that kernel will look like this:

title CentOS (2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen ro root=/dev/CentOS/root
        module /initrd-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plusxen.img

You need to change the 'kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus'
to read 'kernel /xen.gz-3.2'

If you don't do this xend will fail to run and your domains will
fail to start because the userland tools are expecting a Xen 3.2
kernel and you will have a Xen 3.1 kernel running.

-Ross