[CentOS] Xen Install

Daniel de Kok me at danieldk.org
Sat Mar 29 12:21:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 4:36 AM, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Xen/InstallingCentOSDomU  In reading that
>  How To, will using the GUI Configuration Tools create all the files need
>  to run a "DomU". Will I have manual edit any configuration files?

Yes, you can use virt-manager to do this.

>  Next question is the machine has 256MBs of ram and Dom0 uses about
>  225MBs of it. Is that a bit much? VmWare Server does not use that much
>  ram. See #top Below....With out running the Xen Kernel it has no where
>  near the ram usage as with the Xen one. Is that expected?

dom0 takes the memory it can use, but if you create a domU, Xen will
use "ballooning" to reduce the amount of memory allocated to dom0. You
can set the minimum of dom0 memory in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp by
tweaking the dom0-min-mem option.

Be aware that the hypervisor also takes a chunk of memory, so you may
want to add more memory to get a useful setup.

Take care,
Daniel