[CentOS] yum update best practices

Fri Mar 7 19:52:50 UTC 2008
sprizes at gmail.com <sprizes at gmail.com>

Hello, we run approximately 400 Centos servers at our company. We use
cfengine for configuration management.

I am looking for some documentation to do patching including kernel
patches. I was thinking of just having each host run yum update via
cfengine but not sure if there are any gotchas there? Should I just do
yum update? or should i exclude the kernel and be more careful with
those? how about glibc?

I am wondering what other people out there do with such large
installations. I'd very much appreciate any help or suggestions on
this.

Also, kinda related to the above is my question about the correct yum
behavior when installing kernels. I've seen it sometimes make the new
kernel the default in grub.conf but sometimes it doesnt? what is the
designed behavior?

best regards,
SK