[CentOS] C5 64-bit and software RAID 6?

Sat Mar 8 13:32:16 UTC 2008
Scott R. Ehrlich <scott at MIT.EDU>

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 6 SAS disks and a PERC 5/i controller
what won't do RAID 6.  I plan to have 2 drives as RAID 1 for the OS, and
the remaining 4 as RAID 6.  Granted the PERC can do RAID 1, I'm tempted to
do everything via software RAID.  Thus, if anything goes wrong with the
controller, I just need to obtain a new SAS controller and I'm back up.

I learned my lesson about not using RAID 0 for important data storage when
a drive goes bad!

What are peoples' performance and reliability experiences with 64-bit C5's
software RAID, particularly RAID 6?

Thanks.

Scott