[CentOS] Forward local5.* to remote syslog-ng server

Fri Mar 14 17:35:29 UTC 2008
Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com>

Ok, I can't quite figure out how to make this work.   I want to
simultaneously log everything for facility local5 in a local file and
a remote syslog-ng server.  local7 is working fine getting the
boot.log log entries transferred over to the syslog-ng server, but not
so much with local5.  Local logging of local5.* on the client is
working fine now.

SERVER:
/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf (excerpt below)

options
{
  log_fifo_size(8192);

  # garden gnomes shouldn't log (Gnome has a buggy log implementation)
  # needs to be set on client systems, too...
  bad_hostname("gconfd");

  use_time_recvd(no);

  group(logs);
  create_dirs(yes);
  dir_group(logs);
  dir_perm(0750);
  perm(0640);
  chain_hostnames(no);
  keep_hostname(yes);
  stats(3600);
  use_fqdn(yes);
};

source syslog
{
  unix-stream("/dev/log");
  udp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(514));
  tcp(ip(0.0.0.0) port(5149) max-connections(300));
  internal();
};

destination mylogfile.log {
        file(/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/mylogfile.log);
};

destination boot.log {
        file(/var/log/syslog-ng/$HOST/boot.log);
};

filter f_local7 {
        facility(local7);
};

filter f_local5 {
        facility(local5);
};

log {
        source(syslog);
        filter(f_local7);
        destination(boot.log);
};

log {
        source(syslog);
        filter(f_local5);
        destination(mylogfile.log);
};

CLIENT
/etc/syslog.conf excerpt

*.*                                                       @syslogngbox
local7.*                                                /var/log/boot.log
local5.*                                                /var/log/mylogfile.log