[CentOS] Server to server communication

Tue Mar 18 08:44:51 UTC 2008
D Steward <dsteward at internode.on.net>

Hi all,
I have 2 servers online and wish them to communicate and exchange
information with each other at times.

I have been developing a web application which is extremely
CPU-intensive, and since I don't want to overload the main server which
deals with the apache/php/mysql stuff, I got a separate server (a
phenom) to deal with it.

I prefer the communication to be secure, low latency, scalable and
two-way ie. either server can initiate communication with the other. As
the number of users increase, I will need to add more quad-core servers.
What would be the easiest/quickest-to-implement way to do this?

Is there a daemon I could use to do this, or would I need to develop my
own?

Since I have only ever had a single server, I have never had to do this
before, so wouldn't have a clue as to where to start.
(I Googled "server communication" but got a pile of semi-useless links)

TIA