[CentOS] Send in your favorite CentOS slogan today

Mon Mar 3 18:34:53 UTC 2008
Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com>

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Dan Carl <danc at bluestarshows.com> wrote:
> Heard someone mention free beer, had to participate.
>
>  CentOS, we find RedHat's bugs
>
>  CentOS, the OS that makes sense.
>
>  Dan

I know that everyone seems to think any mention of RH is cute and
funny, but it's just asking for a lawsuit.  Does anyone remember
LinuxWorld Expo in Boston a couple years ago when RH was releasing
RHEL4.  No?  I do, because that's when CentOS got a letter from RH
legal department asking to remove all references to their name and I
was the one sitting in the LinuxWorld booth trying to justify to
people that CentOS was a valid project and not just stealing someone
else's IP.  If CentOS wants to be taken seriously, especially by big
business, you don't do it by biting the hand that feeds you and
creating bad publicity.  Referring to RH without their permission is
just begging for RH to sue us.  Drop the RH jokes and push CentOS on
it's merit as a stable enterprise OS with a great community behind it.

Also without RH, CentOS wouldn't be.  They make it very easy to obtain
the sources in a manner that makes it easy to build CentOS by
releasing complete SRPMs.  There's nothing saying RH has to release
the code this way.  They could make it very difficult for groups like
CentOS, WhiteBox, and Scientific Linux. Be nice to RH and buy a
license here and there when it makes sense.  They have their place in
the food chain, as do we.

Just my $0.02

--
-matt