[CentOS] ipw3945 wireless not working

Wed Mar 5 18:31:54 UTC 2008

Thanks for helping.

Max Hetrick wrote:

> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> ANy help would be greatly appreciated!
>>

> I'm using the ipw3945 on CentOS 5.1 with the following packages:
>
> ipw3945d-1.7.22-4.nodist.rf
> ipw3945-firmware-1.14.2-1.nodist.rf
> dkms-ipw3945-1.2.1-1.nodist.rf

Save rpms off of rpmforge. Installed this morning.
> I installed mine using this:
>
> yum install dkms-ipw3945 NetworkManagerDispatcher

NetworkManager was part of the base install.
> chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on
> chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on

I did this via the gnome services app, turning on all runlevels so I
could activate 3,4,&5
> After installation, reboot your laptop and your wireless adapter should
> now be seen by the NetworkManager application in Gnome.
I got to this point. Had to play around with the bios for the radio to
come on at boot. I think the item that did this was NOT to enable LAN
power management.
> You can click on
> it and then connect to it in the taskbar on the right-hand side. I was
> successful at connecting to a WRT54G at G speed using WPA2 Pre-Shared
> Key Only and AES encryption algorithms.

My AP is WPA1 with TKIP. Even if I select TKIP (not go the auto route),
I am not getting connected.
> This is all that was needed to install and connect to the wireless
> network. Also, the card is seeing 4 different neighbor's wireless
> connection points, so it's probing and searching appropriately.

I should probably turn on one of my other APs. I do have a lot of them
here when needed....
> Not sure if this helps you or not.
Just tells me it is my problem, not a general problem. Good to know it
works for someone!

Where does NetworkManager keep its information? There was no
/etc/sysconf/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file. I made one (but don't know
how to get PTK passphrases into the file). No change.

ARGH!