[CentOS] 5.0 -> 5.1

Wed Mar 5 19:20:05 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

MHR wrote:

>>> If you've been running yum update, you're already at 5.1. You may just
>>> need to reboot to load the new kernel.
>>>
>>    Nope, I don't run yum.  I do manual updates.  So I've rsynced the
>> updates to a local drives, and then ran rpm against them.  There's
>> something about running un-attended updates on a life system.  I've had
>> too many cases where I come into the office in the morning and the
>> system is dead because of some update overnight.
>>

> Fascinating - I've always had to run yum manually, and I've never seen
> an overnight update on my system.
>
> Are you sure you don't have rogue administrators sneaking in at night
> and 'yup'ing?
>
> (Okay, that wasn't a serious suggestion, but your issue seems kind of
> strange...)
>
> Just my $0.02.

Yes, aside from being able to run yum manually while still letting it do
all the work, when has anyone seen a Centos system die from an update?
I know it's theoretically possible and I baby-sit the critical systems
too (at least the first on each hardware type), but this stuff is pretty
well tested before being pushed out.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com