[CentOS] ipw3945 wireless not working

Wed Mar 5 20:17:06 UTC 2008
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 at 3:09pm, Robert Moskowitz wrote

> I yum erased wpa*
>
> this not only removed wpa_supplicant and wpa_supplicant_gui, but also
> NetworkManager and its gnome interface. I then
>
> yum install NetworkManager*
>
> This added wpa_supplicant back in.
>
> rebooted.
>
> I can connect to the AP with no security, but not the one with PSK Passphrase
> (which needs wpa_supplicant). And the man pages only lists ipw2200, not
> ipw3945.
>
> So I am suspecting that there is no wpa support for my card?????

I've used WPA with my 3945 card (in a ThinkPad Z61t) on both Fedora 7 w/
ipw3945 and Fedora 8 w/ iwl3945.  So, it can work.  On F7, I did the whole
config manually (I don't use any DE, so I tend to have to do things this
way) -- including editing /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth1 to have the
correct ESSID and editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_wupplicant.conf with my
PSK.  I'm *guessing* that would work for you.

I don't know how to get it working with NM -- sorry.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin