[CentOS] OpenOffice now automagically works: One last question...

Fri Mar 7 16:48:57 UTC 2008
Alex White <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:46:56 -0500
Therese Trudeau <mswotr at hotmail.com> took out a #2 pencil and
scribbled:

> I tried re enabling SELinux and OO won't start, so I assume that
> I must have SE Linux disabled in order for OpenOffice to run - is
> this correct?
>
> if correct, is there a way I can still keep my system secure and
> run OpenOffice 2.3?

You do not have to keep selinux disabled. You can re-enable it;
however, you may get a couple selinux failures. This is what
happens on my system when running in Enforcing mode.

1. Selinux complains about a memory access
by /opt/openoffice.org2.3/program/libvclplug_gen680li.so.1.1

2. Selinux complains about openoffice attempting to change the
memory access protection on the heap.

To solve number 1. on my system:
sudo chcon -t
textrel_shlib_t /opt/openoffice.org2.3/program/libvclplug_gen680li.so.1.1

Please mind the line wrapping. To solve issue 2. on my system:
sudo setsebool -P allow_execheap=1

I am not entirely sure that it is wise to perform the second step,
as it affects all applications that run on the system. So it seems
a bit of a sledgehammer.

To view what selinux is complaining about you may want to install
the setroubleshoot package from yum and view what it is complaining
about exactly. It will also give you suggestions on how to fix the
selinux complaints.

HTH

Alex White

ethericalzen at gmail.com